STC Journal

Subject: STC Journal
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 23:07:00 UTC

>> journal is as dull as ditchwater

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this point. I've talked to the STC
people involved and they tend to think that technical writers need a place
to be *published*. This academic view really turns a lot of technical
writers off, myself included. The best part of the journal is the letters
to the editor in which lots of real issues are discussed.

Don't give up on the journal entirely. There are stalwart STCers out there
who ignore the tedious format of the journal and present articles with
something to say that is interesting to the rest of us. Watch for them.
When you see these articles in the Technograph, please write a Letter to the
Editor and tell them how refreshing you thought the content was.

I have also discussed this STC journal with managers and coworkers. They
are quick to point out misspellings, archaic style, etc., etc. This is how
these outsiders-to-STC view STC as a whole. You and I know it's a dynamic
and wonderful place, but if you judge it by the book . . .

Marilynne <ducking>
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com