Re: Punctuation: Period

Subject: Re: Punctuation: Period
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 20:53:08 -0700

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Sevigny, Josee wrote:

> What do you guys do when "etc." is the last word within a list in
> parentheses and the last word of the sentence at the same time?
> * ..., etc.). Other sentence...
> * ..., etc.) Other sentence...
> * ..., etc.) Other sentence...

> I could not find the info in "Canadian Style".

IMHO, if the sentence as a whole is contained within the parentheses, I
would punctuate within the parentheses. (*.......etc.)

If the sentence includes words both within and outside the parentheses, I
would add the period at the end: (*.......etc.).

This seems less problematic to me than to end a sentence with etc. without
the parentheses.