Re: plural of CD-ROM?

Subject: Re: plural of CD-ROM?
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 21:02:06 -0700

To add to Arlen's argument, isn't the operative word placed differently in
the two cases mentioned? When we speak of attorneys-at-law, it is the
attorneys that are plural, not the law per se. On the other hand, in the
case of CD-ROMs, we are speaking of plural memories, not compact digitals.

On Wed, 8 Mar 1995, Arlen P. Walker wrote:

> Would it be CDs-ROM, like attorneys general, as a co-worker
> of mine insists?

> Or has the acronym (is that right, Jan?) become a word in
> its own right, making the plural CD-ROMs?

> I'd plump for the latter, for the reason that it's *not* a CD, it's a CD-ROM.

> But then, I'd argue against the first. (yes, I'd still do "-ys-at-law," but
I'd
> argue that "general" makes it a different beast than "-at-law.") ;{>}

> Have fun,
> Arlen
> Chief Managing Director In Charge, Department of Redundancy Department
> DNRC 24

> Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- Com
> In God we trust; all others must provide data.

RoMay Sitze People are persuaded more
rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu by the depth of your conviction
than the height of your logic,
More by your enthusiasm
than any proof you can offer.
-author unknown-