Re[2]: Examination for Japanese tech communicators

Subject: Re[2]: Examination for Japanese tech communicators
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 10:20:27 -0600

Have you ever been unable to actually follow the instructions or
are you just amused by the translations? I wonder if you would ever
make any gaffes when translating from one language to another. I'm
certain that I would. However, I don't have any difficulty at all in
understanding the intent of the information. (For example, I recently
saw the following sentence from a Japanese student. "I'll be waiting
to listen from you.")
Many years ago, when we were first buying personal calculators
instead of personal computers, my brother sent a calculator to me from
Korea. The instructions were written in the Korean language. By,
following the examples and diagrams, I was able to interpret all of
the information even though I don't know the language.
When someone says "writing that makes no sense at all", I wonder if
it would still not make sense to that person even if the grammar,
syntax, etc. were perfect.
I am not very tolerant of sloppy writing. But, let's be a little
less anxious to criticize translations.

Virginia Krenn
asdxvlk.okway.okstate.edu