Re[2]: Examination for Japanese tech communicators

Subject: Re[2]: Examination for Japanese tech communicators
From: Vince Putman <PUTMV -at- MAIL -dot- SYNTRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 10:16:03 CST

Nancy Hoft <itech -at- MV -dot- MV -dot- COM> on 3/9/95 wrote:

<snip>
>"American's inability to read and speak many languages fluently is,
>however, THE laughingstock of the entire world."

BULL, what is the language of business all over the world? In most foreign
countries, including Japan, the people think it is an insult to their
country and personal values to use English -- until they need to conduct
business anywhere or deal in technical issues. In this respect, we are the
envy of the world.

When we want to communicate in a foreign language, we must be very very
careful when we translate or we too will be the laughingstock of the entire
world, just like all of the Asian countries. They want to sell their
products, but hate to pay for translation into English, specially to an
American. We all know how self-serving they are -- they copy (steal)
instead of inventing. Love your VCR instructions do you?

Nancy, practice what you preach, its you who was not careful about your
statements. Most Americans do not need to speak other languages, we are
understood everywhere business is conducted. No other language is
universally understood, right?

Vince Putman in Houston | Most people think new ideas are just
putmv -at- mail -dot- syntron -dot- com | a criticism of the old ways!!
713-647-7223 FAX 579-7709| Eschew Gratuitous Obfuscation