Re: Int'l bent on resume vs cv (fwd)

Subject: Re: Int'l bent on resume vs cv (fwd)
From: Lisa Steinberg <aa075 -at- SEORF -dot- OHIOU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 18:38:42 -0500

Hi Folks...

I received the following message correcting my usage of the word "acronym"
in an earlier post. Forgive my ignorance--I didn't have my dictionary
handy when I wrote the message. I still stand by my original message,
whatever you want to call something as unmeaningful-by-itself as
the letters "cv." I beleive that the unspoken rule of acronyms can also be
appropriately applied to "abbreviations," especially when the word or
letters in question are uncommon in everyday language. I guess I've learned
something new today... How about the rest of the folks on this list?

Oh, and Jan B., lighten-up, will ya?

lisa
:)

> From boom -at- cadence -dot- com Tue Mar 7 12:15:38 1995
> Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 09:11:11 -0800
> From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- cadence -dot- com>
> To: aa075 -at- SEORF -dot- OHIOU -dot- EDU
> Subject: Re: Int'l bent on resume vs cv

> ok, I'm only going to say this one more time. "cv" is an abbreviation,
> but not an acronym.

> You could look it up.

> jb
> ===================
> lisa
> :)

> p.s. I'm glad someone finally cleared up what a "cv" was; I hadn't a clue
> from the original posting. Isn't there an unspoken rule in communication
> that when acronyms are used they are spelled out first for clarity?

* lisa steinberg :) *
* Grantswriter for Rural Action *
* A non-profit sustainable community development *
* organization based in: *
* Athens, Ohio *
* aa075 -at- seorf -dot- ohiou -dot- edu *
* Volunteer in Service to America and proud of it! *