Re: Douglas Adams

Subject: Re: Douglas Adams
From: Heilan Yvette Grimes <HEP2 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 02:09:33 -0500

>Although I laughed publicly at the road-crossing chicken jokes (thanks,
>Joyce) , I must admit to my colleagues in this private, intimate forum that
>I don't understand them all. (Color me red.) The Douglas Adams rationale
>(Forty-two) has me stumped.

>The only Adamses I am familiar with are Nick in Hemingway's stuff and Joe, a
>guy I went to High School with. Joe had a Fifty-seven Fairlane ragtop (boy,
>did we have fun), but that's as close as I can get numerically.

>Can somebody please explain the Douglas Adams line? Remember, I'm a
>hardware writer.

>TIA.
>Mike Johnson

Douglas Adams wrote The Hitchiker's Guide to the Universe Trilogy (and as
pointed out on the cover of the fourth volume inaccurately named). One volume
deals with a question about the riddle of the universe. The answer is 42 (a
mouse knew the answer). His books are hilarious, brilliant, and have examples
of Vogon poetry (which one has to be strapped in place to listen to. The
worse poetry in the universe except for a little girl's in the midwest). The
series was shown on PBS and you can get a video of it. Douglas Adams was also
one of the writers of the Dr. Who series.

By the way, I met Douglas Adams at MacWorld/SF, having sat next to him during
the HSC press conference and remarked that he looked vaguely familiar. He is
almost finished with the next volume in the Hitchhiker's series called, "The
Salmon of Doubt." He did the cover with a great program called Bryce. It
consists of the number 42 as an extruded mountain range with 42 pastel eggs
floating in front of it. Should be a great book. I've read everyone of his
books in one sitting (literally couldn't put them down until finished).

--Yvette