Re: A Test to Select Competent technical Writers

Subject: Re: A Test to Select Competent technical Writers
From: "George F. Taylor" <gtaylor3 -at- CALSTATELA -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 13:14:35 -0600

Geoffrey - There is no "perfect" test or "perfect" writer, but there is a way
to select a technical writer for a project. List the skills, values, etc.
needed for the project. Assign a numerical weight from 1-10 to each item.
Using a 4 point scale, rate each candidate's abilities in relation to each
item. Multiply the weight times the rating. Total all the ratings. Although
this process can eliminate subjective criteria, I suggest that you couple any
evaluation with "your gut instinct." - George

>Suppose that there is no accreditation process to help you select a
>technical writer for a new project. Suppose, too, that you want to >create a
simple test >to help you select the best technical writer from those who apply
to your >advertisement seeking a technical writer to, let us say, create a
paper >user guide to some new accounting software. Suppose, further, that
there >is some possibility that this writer may be asked by your client to
create >on-line >documentation for that same software. What would you include
in such a >test to help you select the perfect writer?