A Test to Select Competent technical Writers

Subject: A Test to Select Competent technical Writers
From: David Dubin <David_Dubin -at- NOTES -dot- PW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 10:44:22 PST

I devised a simple test for applicants to our positions. It follows below:
Situation:
Your department has purchased a new computer for a new staff member who has
some knowledge of personal computers. This personal computer consists of a
monitor, keyboard, mouse, and CPU unit. All these components are packaged
together in one single box, along with the instructions and warranty.

Requirement:
You are to write documentation for the new staff member to explain how to set
this personal computer up for the first time and to test its operation. Us
all the space on the following pages. You will have five minutes for this
exercise.

This exercise is designed to test the writer's ability to understand the
assignment, organize the information, and present it in a logical order. The
time frame is short so that we can see how the writer operates under pressure.

David Dubin -at- notes -dot- pw -dot- com@Internet