Re: Technical Writing Problems (Geting Review Copies Reviewed)

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Problems (Geting Review Copies Reviewed)
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 07:20:03 PST

I've found that engineers are very responsive if they think that someone
is watching, so what I do is put questions, with their name attached, right
into the text of the review draft, marked with a pointing hand, rev bars,
and a bold-italic font. The review copy is prefaced by a table of contents
of the questions, each of which has someone's name attached.

The first thing the reviewer sees is his name on a bunch of questions,
and he KNOWS that everyone else knows that he's supposed to answer them.

Very few engineers can withstand this putative peer pressure, especially
when a simple list is something that even engineering managers can deal
with, when asked to take corrective action.

-- Robert