Re: Managers Not in the Biz

Subject: Re: Managers Not in the Biz
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 07:14:03 PST

What *I* did when I had a non-writer manager was take over the Pubs
Department. I indicated great interest in management, signed myself
up for management and leadership seminars, and assumed authority
by the simple expedient of acting like I knew what to do, fixing any
problem I could, and schlepping any problem I needed help with to
other managers.

At the time, my manager was a marketeer. Most marketeers don't like
dealing with Tech Pubs, and will relinquish decision-making to anyone.

I had to wait for the V.P. of Marketing to get the boot before I
was made an official manager, but I expanded my role quite a bit,
informally, before that. It helped, too -- simply doing the right
thing, rather than asking your manager what to do, is more fun and
more effective.

-- Robert