Re[2]: Technical Writing Problems

Subject: Re[2]: Technical Writing Problems
From: doug montalbano <doug_montalbano -at- CC -dot- CHIRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 15:11:48 PST

Lori (Moore, Freebird) comments upon the ancecdote of
Lori (Lathrop, Indexer):

LL his response to my request for feedback was, "Oh, it's
LL great! Just what we needed!" I then asked him if he
LL could respond to the questions I'd written as
LL DEVELOPMENT NOTES throughout the draft. His response
LL was, "Ah, well, um, questions? Can I call you back
LL tomorrow?"

LM AMEN! I just don't get it! How can these guys say the
LM document is "just what we needed" when it's full of
LM questions and other vacancies in information?! Now
LM THAT's a problem!

I would suspect that what the developer meant was that, from HIS
point of view, everything was fine because "documentation" exists.
That particular pressure on him is off. He doesn't care about the
completeness or correctness of the doc, or at least not as much as
he cares about its existence.

It's been my experience that this conflict -- between a manager's
view of a document's purpose and a writer's view of its purpose --
is a never-ending and fairly widespread one. Just another
milestone on a project Gannt chart, or user tool?

doug_montalbano -at- cc -dot- chiron -dot- com