Re: A WASTE OF TIME

Subject: Re: A WASTE OF TIME
From: Jan Stetson <jks -at- CONCENTRA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 17:32:12 +0500

I'm not Judy, but I share some of her feelings.

Judy,
I am sorry that you feel this way about the Tech Writer's list. However,
it is my feeling that this is the purpose of the Subject line and the
Delete key.

I probably do not even read half of the messages posted to this list
simply because the subject line doesn't interest me. That is perhaps
akin to judging a book by its cover, but that is my choice. If the
subject of a post doesn't look interesting to me, I delete it.

There are limits to how useful this is. Sorting evaluating and
deleting a large volume of messages can itself take up a lot of time.
You can't always tell the content from the Subject line, as the
discussion wanders off the original topic. This is a problem where
the topic IS of interest to you, and you find yourself reading endless
digressions or personal messages while in search of information you
need.

At the same time, I find a small bit of wasted time helps lighten up a
busy day. I will *always* take the time to read a post with HUMOR in the
Subject line.

And, if for some reason I have not checked my mail for 3 or 4 days, I am
quite likely to delete *all* messages without a second glance rather than
take the time to find ones that may be relevent or interesting to me.

I work 3 days/week, Tuesday through Thursday. When I come in on
Tuesday, the volume on this list just bowls me over. And I want to go
through all the messages because the reason I've subscribed is that I
am looking for information. I don't want to miss the one message in a
hundred that will help me solve a problem.

If Judy's post encourages people to take clearly individual and
personal discussions off line and into individual email HURRAY!!!

In short, if I think it is a waste of *my* time, I don't read the
message. But someone else may not feel it is a waste of *their* time.

Happy Surfing,

Scott Browne
Greenleaf Software

"Choose your friends carefully. Your enemies will choose you!"
--Y. ARAFAT