Re: a few questions

Subject: Re: a few questions
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 10:52:00 PST

Karen, this response reminded me to ask you if you ever got a hold of
Barbara Belfer? Did you apply at TRW?

==============
At 10:37 AM 2/24/95 -0800, Karen Kay wrote:
>Lindamood, Brad said:
>> The most important thing you need when you graduate is not the
>> knowledge of a specific tool, but more the willingness to learn.
>> Just approach it with the right attitude, and you'll have no problem
>> convincing someone to give you an opportunity!

>With all due respect, Brad, you are wrong. At least in my experience.
>No one is interviewing *me* based on my willingness to learn. I taught
>myself Japanese well enough to get a job teaching it in one of the
>best programs in this country, and I've taught myself everything I
>know about computers. Not enough. You *have* to have at least some
>buzzwords on your resume to get through that door, and it's still hard
>unless you have practical experience to go with that. I am a good
>learner, and a good writer. I learned sensitivity to audience the hard
>way, by giving talks to grade school kids and to senior citizens, as
>well as at academic conferences. But none of this matters when it
>comes to looking for a job as much as having those buzzwords and that
>experience.

>I don't resent this, but it *is* frustrating. I don't see any way
>around it except to acquire that experience, slowly, piece-by-piece.

>Karen
> karenk -at- netcom -dot- com

Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius