Re: Master index generation in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Master index generation in FrameMaker
From: Frank Stearns <franks -at- FSATOOLS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 10:50:34 -0800

Kelly Kremin asked about master index generate in FrameMaker....

Hi Kelly -

What you want to do is relatively easy.

Make a new single book file consisting of all the source files from the
various manuals. (Frame supports multiple books listing the same files.)
In the setup "file" for each entry in this new book, you can add to the
page number field the manual name or whatever abbreviation you want in the
master index that will distinguish page numbers for common entries.

"Add" an index to this new book, then generate. You'll then have a common
master index.

GOTCHAS: if you still plan to print individual manuals, REGENERATE them.
Depending on a number of factors, xrefs may get out of whack while
generating the master index from this second book file.

BTW, we offer IXgen, a new interface to Frame's marker system. Makes
index creation and maintenance a whole lot faster and easier.

| Frank Stearns Associates | Developers of Tools for FrameMaker(r) |
| franks -at- fsatools -dot- com | Developers of Custom Software Tools |
| 360/892-3970 fx:360/253-1498 | Makers of IXgen, FM2A, & Hypergen |
Please note our new area codes! NOTE: Your local phone system may not
recognize an area code that does not have a "1" or "0" as the center
digit. You can use our old area code, 206, but be sure to alert your
telephone service provider that your equipment needs an upgrade.