Re: Frame 4.0 indexing capabilities

Subject: Re: Frame 4.0 indexing capabilities
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 11:46:22 -0700

On Mon, 20 Feb 1995, Kelly Kremin wrote:

> We are producing 3 manuals for one product: technical reference
> programming guide
> user guide

> Using FrameMaker 4.0, can I create one index for all three books (as
> opposed to 3 individual)? How would I auto-generate such a document?
> (Make a "superbook" out of the 3 books?) I'm looking thru "Using
> Frame" & am not finding the info I need.

I'm not sure if the book feature is adequate to this task or not. An
alternate possibility is to create individual indexes, use a cut and
paste to combine and then do a sort. (I'm not sure if Frame has a sort
feature, so this might not work. It could be done in a word processing
program such as W4W6 or WordPerfect. I no longer have access to Frame to
check it out.)

> If I can make this index, what advice is there for distinguishing page
> 12 in one manual from the other 2?

The manuals might be labeled as Volumes A,B, and C. Pages could be
numbered as A-12, B-12, and so on.

RoMay Sitze People are persuaded more
rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu by the depth of your conviction
than the height of your logic,
More by your enthusiasm
than any proof you can offer.
-author unknown-