Re: Cross-platform fonts

Subject: Re: Cross-platform fonts
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 08:15:00 -0600

Regardless, I'd like to know what other writers recommend for fonts that
apply well across the different platforms.

If you're really picky about appearances, then you'll need to stick not only
with fonts of the same name, but fonts from the same foundry. Something I
discovered not too long ago was that Times from Adobe (Type 1) had entirely
different kerning and leading characteristics that Times from either Apple or
Microsoft (both True Type in this case). In the case of Times, the differences
were significant enough to be unusable even if you're not picky (it turned a
one-page brochure into a two-page disaster). I brought my findings to a group of
type designers, and they weren't surprised. It seems that Times is Times is
Times applies only to Times from the same type foundry. Different foundries will
produce similarly (or equivalently) named fonts which are not equivalent fonts.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24