information mapping?

Subject: information mapping?
From: Bex <rebeccaf -at- COMPNEWS -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 1995 16:25:11 +0000

What is this information mapping you all keep mentioning?
Where can I find out more?
I think I may need it.

I've been 'tasked' :-) to design a complete documentation plan for my
whole company.
I'm not an experienced technical writer, let alone experienced system
designer/document designer/editor/negotiator and whoever(?) else this job
needs.
After that I've got to design a 'management information system' which
apparently is a way of keeping track of all major projects so that my boss can
grab detailed up-to-date info at short notice for use at board meetings
(I need to get a clearer spec from him).

Would information mapping help?
R_e_b_e_c_c_a F_i_l_a_r_d_o /\ /\
/ o o \
IS-Liaison > ^ < cat