Style question - pushbuttons

Subject: Style question - pushbuttons
From: "Sevigny, Josee" <joseey -at- M3ISYSTEMS -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 12:32:16 -0500

In Windows User's Guide - Choosing vs Selecting
Selecting usually means moving the focus to a control. Selecting alone does
not initiate an action.
Choose an item, on the other hand, does carry out an action (choosing a menu
item, choosing a push button in a dialog).
Clicking is like choosing when performed on a control, but is like selecting
when performed within a control (list boxes...)

Also, we have established our own convention as to the way we say it:
. Click the OK pushbutton. (Note: "on" is never used.)
. Choose OK.
. Choose the OK pushbutton.

In all cases, the control label is spelled out in the same fashion as what
appears on screen, without quotes. We apply a predefined character style
that changes the formatting to Arial, bold, 9pts. This character style then
allows us to index interactively.
Josee Sevigny
DMS Documentation Supervisor
(514) 928-4600 x2556