Re: Style question - pushbuttons

Subject: Re: Style question - pushbuttons
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 14:45:29 PST

Glen Crumpley posted:

> We're trying to update our style guide. Currently, the action of activating
> a pushbutton is described in several ways. For example:
> Click on the OK button.
> Click on the OK pushbutton.
> Click once on the OK button.
> Select the OK buton.

I don't use the word "button." For example:
Click OK to exit the dialog box and return to the window.

> Also, the text describing the button label (OK) is highlighted in various
> ways, such as:
> "OK"
> <bold>OK
> <plain>OK

Buttons are Helvetica Bold (all regular text is a serifed font).
Keys, such as function keys, are Helvetica Regular and enclosed in
square brackets (such as [F12] or [Ctrl] [F12]).

> Currently, the style guidelines call for quotes on the button label. None
> of the current writers care for this convention and we will probably change
> it.

No quotes on any buttons or keys are used here. (BTW, I use the same
style whether I'm writing our Windows or Macintosh docs.)

Good luck!
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com