thanks

Subject: thanks
From: Tammy Hale <tammyh -at- FGM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 22:32:26 -0500

Dear Techwriters,

Thank you for your contributions to the question I posted regarding the use
of "sex" and "gender." Many good points were brought up in favor of each,
but in the end I stuck with "gender" and my co-worker stuck with "sex."

Someone asked about the context of this debate. This was the situation: a
few days ago I was joking around with two co-workers. One of them started
to say something sexual and stopped himself. I asked him what he was going
to say and he replied that it would be inappropriate to say because of my
sex. And I said, "You mean because of my gender." He told me it was
incorrect to use "gender" because gender is strictly a reference to
"masculine," "feminine," and "neuter" in language. I didn't agree for the
reasons I stated in the initial posting.

This is an issue that has bothered me for a while. Whenever I fill out
forms, the question "What is your sex?" always sounds weird to me. So I
wanted some clarification in case I'm in the position of documenting this
sort of thing.

Thanks again,
Tammy
tammyh -at- fgm -dot- comm