Re: equipment standard?

Subject: Re: equipment standard?
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 13:24:55 PST

Bex was wondering:

> I was wondering what kind of hardware most people on this list use.
> I am having enormous trouble persuading my boss that the equipment I
> have is not adequate for what he is expecting me to do.
> I have a 486, 33MHz, 8Meg PC with 14" screen, which doesn't print and
> gets very slow when I have more than one package open - which is often
> necessary.

I currently have a 486/33 with 8MB ram and a Portrait 15 Plus
(rotating color) display with an Orchid display card. I am in line
to receive a Pentium one of these days, but until that time (which
is likely later this year) I will receive additional RAM (at least
up to 16, more likely 24). I usually don't have problems with speed,
except that I could work faster than allowed <grin>. Unfortunately,
the programmers get higher priority than I do. But I must admit, I
also have higher priority than our tech support folks, so I can't
complain too much! As a side note, one of our programmers was doing
some help file creation stuff (documenting C++ classes and all) and
was using my tools (Doc-To-Help) and he now agrees that I would be
infinitely more productive with a faster machine. Sigh... some day
maybe!!

...sue