Re: technical Writing Skills

Subject: Re: technical Writing Skills
From: RoseCrowe <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 23:48:50 -0700

On Mon, 30 Jan 1995, Timothy Schablin wrote:

> I'd prefer the writing skills (and creativity) over technical expertise.

> but that could depend on the type of project.

I tend to agree with a caveat. I agree because I can tend
someone about the product and how to use my tools much easier
than I can teach them how to write.
However, I cannot find much use for a writer without a love for
and an aptitude with technology. A writer who is a technophobe
is handicapped in the field of tech writing, and these writers
drag down the field as much as do the technical-apt-but-unschooled-
in-writing writers.
I try to look for a balance in a resume and in writing samples.
I don't tend to talk to someone who doesn't display both
talents.
BTW, I think advertisements that ask for technical knowledge
such as UNIX or C are an advance over what we often see here
in Phoenix -- advertising that you need to know Word or some
other wordprocessing software!

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
*******
"Half an hour's meditation is essential except
when you are very busy. Then a full hour is needed."
-St. Francis De Sales