Re: Grammar vs Content

Subject: Re: Grammar vs Content
From: DIANA PATTERSON <DPATTERSON -at- MTROYAL -dot- AB -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 06:34:40 -0600

As someone who was trained both in Physics and English, may I say that grammar
is also important. Content is find, but if a reader cannot understand it, no
meaning is conveyed. I may also say that the point of grammar is that it is
_not_ subjective. Style, defined as "good" may be. But grammar is a set of
rules to help people parse sentences for meaning. Grammar is especially
important to people reading the language and translating it to another in
their heads. At least in Canada we have many of those. Besides, grammar
keeps one honest.

All things in moderation.
Diana Patterson
DPatterson -at- MtRoyal -dot- AB -dot- CA