Grammar vs Content

Subject: Grammar vs Content
From: Vince Putman <PUTMV -at- MAIL -dot- SYNTRON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 07:25:36 CST

Perhaps I should name the subject *Flame-Out*, but here goes. . .

I changed from engineering to writing long ago -- and now love what I
do (not the pay). But, since the switch its seems that many of my new
peers have different writing priorities. They place grammar ahead of
content. When asked to review anything for content, its the grammar,
spelling, and format they comment on instead of providing help on the
subject.

To me, this is akin to polishing the fire truck while the building
burns down!!! Time must first be spent to understand the subject,
then do the outline, writing, drawing, reviewing, rewriting,
reorganizing, and more review, followed by several passes through
for the grammar.

Grammar is very subjective, it is often a personal thing, and it
detracts from the real objective of a document. All documents must
communicate needed information -- not grammatically correct fluff.
Are my peers Technical ReWriters who only correct grammar?

I suspect this is a can of worms I should not have opened. But, many
have posted, for which I am grateful and better informed. So lets see
the Flame-Outs!!!

Vince Putman | Eschew Gratuitous Obfuscation
putmv -at- mail -dot- syntron -dot- com | OR
713-647-7139 Houston, TX | Avoid Free Confusion