Help for help screens

Subject: Help for help screens
From: Tammy Hale <tammyh -at- FGM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 02:49:56 -0500

Dear techwriters,

If this has been covered, I apologize. I recently subscribed to this list.

I have been asked to present a one hour crash course on help windows. Can
anyone give me some input about current trends (I don't mess with help
screens outside of my own company's software) in help screens? What are
common problems that you've noticed? Can anyone offer suggestions on how
they would approach this topic?

I don't know where I want my starting point to be or even what I'll talk
about. Most of my recommendations would be on tech writing in general
(i.e., writing for your audience, writing in the active voice etc.).

Any ideas or comments are greatly appreciated.

Tammy
tammyh -at- fgm -dot- com