Intellectual Exercise: How would you reduce your documentation by 80%?

Subject: Intellectual Exercise: How would you reduce your documentation by 80%?
From: Tara Scanlon <Tara_Scanlon -dot- DBS -at- DBSNOTES -dot- DBSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 16:56:45 EDT

Hi folks!

Care to indulge in some mental aerobics?

Suppose your new company president decided that
you need to reduce the amount of information
(documentation and online help) your company
produces by 80% in the next year. He's not looking to cut
people, just words.

Of course, he also wants to make sure that the current level
of customer satisfaction is maintained, and that calls to the
support hotline do not increase.

He expects a plan in a week.

So, hypothetically speaking, how would you cut 80%?
Are there any "quick fixes" that come to mind? Any new
approaches or methods that you'd investigate? Any
long-term strategies you'd adopt? All ideas, no matter
how off-the-wall, are welcome!

If people are interested, I'll compile the suggestions and
send them out to this list.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Tara Scanlon