Re: Brochure creation software

Subject: Re: Brochure creation software
From: Barb Miller <millerb -at- TCPLINK -dot- NREL -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 07:34:32 MST

Laurie asks

"What software do you recommend to create a brochure? I have Word 6.0
and FrameMaker 4 on a PC. I found only one brochure template with Word,
and nothing with FrameMaker. Any suggestions, including use these in
other ways, or other software (such as, QuarkExpress or PrintShop)?"

Our Graphics department uses QuarkXpress (Mac) or Ventura (PC) to develop
brochures. They design their own templates, which vary depending on the
kind and size of brochure they're designing.

I can't imagine using a standard template for a brochure. Our brochures
range from 8 to 32 pages with vertical or horizontal formats. We also do
flyers, which can be 2-, 3-, or multifold.

Remember, software tools are just that--tools. Designing a brochure is a
creative process involving writing and design. I wouldn't want to limit my
design to what the tool offers.

Before I worry about what software tool to use, I'd consult with a graphics
designer to help you design the best product for the job. Then decide which
tool can produce that product the easiest.

Barb Miller
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
millerb -at- tcplink -dot- nrel -dot- gov