Re: Brochure creation software

Subject: Re: Brochure creation software
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 08:43:10 -0800

Laurie Rubin asks:

> What software do you recommend to create a brochure? I have Word 6.0
> and FrameMaker 4 on a PC. I found only one brochure template with Word,
> and nothing with FrameMaker. Any suggestions, including use these in
> other ways, or other software (such as, QuarkExpress or PrintShop)?

> Any recommendations on creating a brochure that will generate sales (the
> product is new training equipment for martial arts, startup company)?

> For those who created brochures from your own bank account, do you recommend
> doing the work first and then giving it over to a printer to make glossies, or
> just give ideas and have the printer do all the work?

With Frame or Word you have all the software you need to create a
brochure. Either program will set up into 3 columns fairly quickly
and easily. You really needn't stick to a template. Use your
imagination.

As for creating a brochure that will generate sales, study your
marketing communications material. Keep things concise. Develop
a theme, a strong layout, some eye-catching graphics... Remember,
in the immortal words of Bill Horton, "White space never lies" and
"The truth doesn't stick to glossy paper."

Probably the (cheepest/easiest/quickest) way to create a snazzy
brochure is to order pre-printed forms from one of the mail-
order paper houses (Paper Direct comes to mind, but there are
lots more). As a tech writer, you should be getting all sorts
of catalogs like that already... Check your junk mail! These
pre-printed forms come with templates for most wp's, so they're
quick and easy to set up. Then you can take 'em to the local
copy shop to have them run off, or you can print out originals
on your laser printer on-demand.

Good Luck!
Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA