Review copy coversheet software--SUMMARY

Subject: Review copy coversheet software--SUMMARY
From: Erik Harris <ewh -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 09:44:08 -0800

This time last week I posted a request for suggestions on a program for
Macs that can be used to generate coversheets for document review copies.

The problem was that on one large project, I have to send out about 90
documents to my list of reviewers. The list changes, based on the contents
of each document. What I have to work with is Word 5.1 on a Mac II; this
means opening a template, modifying the list of reviewers, and printing and
saving 90 coversheets as simple Word files--that is, I'm not using a lot of
Word features, so I get all the sluggishness of Word without the nifty
tricks. This wouldn't be so bad except that many of 90 documents are
written in PageMaker, and I have to exit PageMaker to open Word, which is a
nuisance. I hoped a smaller package might do the trick.

For those who are interested, here is a summary of the suggestions I received:

- Use Word mail-merge features, keeping the distribution lists in their own
files.

- Use TeachText on the Mac to build a quick-and-dirty template.

- Use FileMaker Pro to make a boilerplate and store the reviewer
information in a database.

- Use a product called "SmartForm."

Thanks much to all those who sent suggestions. TECHWR-L is a great resource.

Erik Harris ewh -at- plaza -dot- ds -dot- adp -dot- com (weekdays)
"Magni nominis umbra" TrinityPlc -at- aol -dot- com (home)