Salary Ranges

Subject: Salary Ranges
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 1995 13:15:14 -0600

I've been in lurk-mode for several weeks now, but I thought I'd
provide some more info about the level of detail in the STC Salary
Survey.

Yes, the published report breaks the US into fairly large areas, and
this level of detail is often not enough to help you pinpoint the
salary ranges for your particular city.

The good news is that the STC office has the information narrowed into
the first three digits of a zip code (such as 123**) for many cities.
The bad news is that this narrower information is only available IF
there was a statistically significant response from that area. For example,
Bill Stolgitis told me that there was not a statistically significant
response from any city in Oklahoma. The closest city for which I could
find information is Dallas. Dallas is quite close, but the salaries tend
to be quite a bit higher there. (BTW, I'm *glad* to know that the STC
salary survey plays by the rules of statistics.)

If you contact the STC office and you feel that they are hesitating to
give you more detailed information from their salary survey (perhaps
because you are not a member, if that is true) then don't hesitate to
use the tried-and-true method of information gathering: the chain of
command. Ask your STC Chapter president to get the info. If your prez
hesitates, ask your director-sponsor. If you don't know who your local
president or regional director is, ask on this list and you are sure
to get an answer!

To contact the STC office, write to: stc -at- tmn -dot- com or call 703-522-4114.

I hope this info helps!

LaVonna Funkhouser
president, Oklahoma Chapter of STC
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com

(I made it through another round of layoffs, but I'm still hanging
on!)