masters level project

Subject: masters level project
From: Sherri Hall <shall -at- HILCO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 13:53:20 CST

Hello. I have a situation I believe y'll can help me with. First a bit of
background. Because there isn't a masters level technical writing program
anywhere close to St. Louis, I'm earning my Masters in English with the
specialization in the Teaching of Writing from Southern Illinois University at
Edwardsville. I have the goal of teaching technical writing at the
community college level, and I've been a full-time tech writer for 10 years now.
In lieu of a thesis, I'm required to write three 20-page papers over
topics already learned and tested in my coursework. I have a list of topics
to choose from, but few are related to my interests. For me, these papers
are meaningless except as the final hoop I have to jump through to get my
degree.

I've attempted once to persuade my advisor (who I don't know well)
that what I'd really love to do is
something related to my goal--research in the area of technical
writing, develop a curriculum, write a tutorial, you get the idea. He
is absolutely opposed to the idea. Because he doesn't know how
to manage this type of project, I think he's taking the safe route.
However, I know exceptions have been made for other students who have
published novels and poetry.

Here's where I need your help. I'd like to try one more time to
persuade him--this time with data. Can anyone give me ideas on how to
persuade him? Could those of you enrolled in or overseeing similar research
projects tell me the general topics being researched? Maybe the clout or
presidence of other institutions would convince him.

Thanks, in advance, for any insight you can give me.
--
Sherri Hall * "No passion in the world is equal to the passion
shall -at- hilco -dot- com * to alter someone else's draft." H.G. Wells