File name or Filename?

Subject: File name or Filename?
From: Sue Heim <SUE -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 09:45:23 PST

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!! I get to ask a question of all you learned
folks on the list!!! So...

Is the "name of a file" one word (filename) or two words (file name)?
If both can be used, is there a "rule?"

I am constantly doing battle regarding this. The only thing I can say
is that at least I'm consistent when I use it (I use one word).

Thanks for your help!!
Sue Heim
Technical Writer
Research Information Systems
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com