Re[2]: am pm or AM PM

Subject: Re[2]: am pm or AM PM
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 08:31:17 -0600

I suppose that you could abbreviate ante meridian and post meridian
meaning, respectively, of the morning and of the afternoon.

But the abbreviations that we are familiar with refer to ante meridiem
and post meridiem meaning, respectively, before noon and after noon.

However, none of these words are capitalized.

Additionally, since these abbreviations refer to times 'after' noon
and 'before' noon, it is not correct to use them with noon. And
similarly, because midnight is equidistant from noon the abbreviations
should not be used with midnight. The correct way to refer to these
times is 12:00 noon or 12:00 midnight. (Now if I could just get my VCR
to recognize that concept...)

Virginia Krenn

Subject: Re: am pm or AM PM
Author: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com> at SMTP
Date: 12/20/94 4:56 PM

Any suggestions on which way to write am/pm, small case or caps? Does it
make a difference? I've always seen it in lower case.

Call me old-fashioned, but I've always capitalized them. They're initialisms,
after all (Ante Meridian, Post Meridian).

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24