Re: Just Which

Subject: Re: Just Which
From: Carter Hansen <chansen -at- CWIS -dot- UNOMAHA -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 15:42:03 GMT

shall -at- hilco -dot- com writes:

> > Yeah, I follow this rule. An easy way to go on a "which hunt" is to
> > watch for the comma: "which" follows a comma.
> >
> That's not always true, is it? Can you cite a reference for this rule?
> As usage continues to do away with more and more commas, I see a lot of
> "whichs" that aren't preceded by commas.

When "which" is used to introduce a restrictive relative clause, no comma
should precede it.<Example: "I can only give you that which I don't need."
Although this is acceptable usage, some strict grammarians insist that which
be used only in non-restrictive relative clauses. They contend that only
"that" should be used to introduce restrictive relative clauses.

- Carter Hansen (CARTERCH -at- AOL -dot- COM ;) :) ;) :) :-) :-P)