Marblehead Messenger

Subject: Marblehead Messenger
From: Richard Lippincott <rlippinc -at- BEV -dot- ETN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 12:53:42 EST

-Sorry to post this to the list. I've just had a question about an eastern
Massachusetts expression, and I clicked on "Delete" instead of "Reply." So
I don't know who wanted the information.

The question was the origin/meaning of the term "Dawn breaks over Marblehead."
The rough translation is "Duh. Now I understand."

Marblehead is a seacoast community somewhat to the north and east of Boston,
a nice area full of expensive homes. It -is- to the east of most of us that
live in this area, in the general direction of sunrise.

Normal pronunciation is MAR-ble-head.

At that moment when something dawns on you, that simple fact of life that's
been more than obvious to those around you, you change the pronunciation of
the town name to the last sylable and say:

"Dawn breaks over MarbleHEAD."

I find that I'm able to use this expression quite often.

I've heard a number of people in the area use it, so I'm guessing that the
expression has been around for a few years. I've never heard it used in areas
outside of the metro Boston area.

Now, there's an entirely -different- expression for clicking that delete
button, but we're all familiar with that one.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com