Re: I18N & L10N

Subject: Re: I18N & L10N
From: "Harris, Russ [MV]" <RHarris -at- PO5 -dot- MV -dot- UNISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 08:12:00 PST

I've seen Internationalization expressed as I18N (meaning the process of
making software ready to be used in multiple countries/languages). Given
that, I would
guess that L10N is "localization" (meaning the process of
translating/adapting
a piece of software for use in one particular country/language).
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Tuesday, December 13, 1994 10:26AM

"I18N" is "internationalization," a hacker-style shorthand guaranteed
to be opaque to non-native speakers of English and even many native
speakers. (Given the goal of internationalization, I find this ironic.)
I don't know what L10N is; sorry.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY