Re: MSWord problem

Subject: Re: MSWord problem
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 08:52:00 -0500

Margaret, I have experienced these problems before. I finally realized
that this is sometimes what I'd like to call a WYSIWYG problem. I'll
explain further:

Remember the definition of WYSIWYG: What You So Intensely Wish You'd Gotten.

I haven't seen this in a lot of packages (just Word and Aldus Persuasion) but
I've wondered about it. Have you noticed that Print/Preview typically takes
significantly longer to draw the screen than the Page View does? That seems to
indicate to me that they're cutting corners in the display code for Page View
for the sake of speed. Before you criticize this decision, think of how you'd
feel if every page in your WP took as long to display as it does in P/P.

I've taken to using P/P as "*real* Page View" and only using Page View as a
rough guess on how the doc will look.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24

What you see on the screen is never (really) what you actually see in print.
I have found that it SEEMS like you have more room (or, in your case, it's
getting cut off at the bottom--and that seems to be peculiar), but you really
don't. Sometimes, if I go to the "Print Preview" display option, I will see
that I really don't have that room left that I thought was there.

Has anyone else on techwr-l experienced such problems with displays that
aren't WYSIWYG? I've also found that that (most) word processors that I've
used are NOT WYSIWYG, which I'm beginning to think is a BIG problem within the
industry.

Just sign me:
Troubled with WYSIWYG

Bill Hartzer (william -dot- hartzer -at- emc2-tao -dot- fisc -dot- com)
Technical Writer, Fischer International Systems Corporation
Naples, Florida USA

P.S. It's 69 degrees here this morning!!!!