Re: quick Word question about ASCII text

Subject: Re: quick Word question about ASCII text
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 11:03:48 -0800

> In article <01HJGUX7PNQQ93IUMP -at- VAX1 -dot- ACS -dot- JMU -dot- EDU>, DARCEY HARDING
> <STU_DCHARDIN -at- vax1 -dot- acs -dot- jmu -dot- edu> writes:

> >Does anybody know how to save a Word 6.0 Document as PLAIN ASCII TEXT?
> >I've tried option after option under "save as" and whatever I save ends
> up with
> >miscellaneous garbage symbols in it. I can't save anything in simple,
> plain,
> >ASCII text like I can in WP. Anybody have any ideas?

> The "Text Only" option works well for me. Where are these misc. garbage
> symbols appearing; in the text or at the top or bottom of the file?

> -Chris Benz

The "Text Only" option saves the file as ascii without any line breaks. This
is the best method to use when you want to save the file to import it into
another application. If you want to save the basic structure of the document
(for example, the indents that were set as paragraph options or the space
before and after paragraphs), use the "Text With Layout" option. This will
fill in extra spaces and returns where you had blank area in Word.

Sue Gallagher
Technical Writer
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com