EMAIL? E-mail? email?

Subject: EMAIL? E-mail? email?
From: Ed Hoornaert <Ed -dot- Hoornaert -at- VENTANA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 13:35:53 -0700

Chani Sacharen wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a good computer dictionary? Suggestions for both
> on-line or printed dictionaries are welcome.

I have a related question. I'm interested not so much in the definition
of computer terms, however, but in SPELLING those terms that occasionly
crop up in the field and haven't had time to become standardized. For
example, EMAIL, E-mail, E-Mail; all of which I have seen recently in
books and manuals. On-line (online?), in Chani's post, is another. My
unsophisticated solution is to grab some books from the shelf for an
informal survey of what other people are doing. In the case of Email
(e-mail?) I've almost reached the conclusion that I can spell the
blinkety word any blankety way I please.

Does anyone have a better way? Anyone have a crystal ball for predicting
the future -- before spelling becomes standardized?