Re: Line spacing in bulleted lists

Subject: Re: Line spacing in bulleted lists
From: Jay Mead <jay -at- CT -dot- COVIA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 1994 13:37:59 -0700

Michael and others:

On the subject of bulleted lists: would you comment on when
to use periods to end list items, and on IBM's current guideline
for this earthshaking issue? When I worked at IBM five or so years
ago the policy was:

--A period at the end if the item is itself a sentence
--No period if the item is not a sentence (even if it completes
a sentence implied by the lead-in)
--A period for each item if any one of the other items is a sentence
(or contains a sentence) and thus requires a period
--A period at the end of the final item in EVERY case.

Have I got it right? Was that the rule? And what is the rule now?
Always periods? Sometimes? Never? And does anyone else use the unusual
fourth rule (period always at the end of the last item)? I'm trying
to figure this out for a style guide I'm compiling. Opinions appreciated!

Thanks.

Jay Mead
jay -at- ct -dot- covia -dot- com