Re: Windows Screen Captures

Subject: Re: Windows Screen Captures
From: Marianne Adams <handson!boston -dot- handson -dot- com!marianne -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 16:11:00 PST

Susan Gallagher writes:

But really, none of this extra sofware is necessary. I capture screens to
the windows clipboard using alt+prnscrn for the active window or just
prnscrn if I need the menu too. Paste the clipboard contents into paintbrush
to clean it up, then do a copy to of just the region of the paintbrush
workplace I want to get the right file size. This gives me the ability to
do everything from full-size screens to individual toolbar graphics without
spending an extra penny on software or consuming any disk space.

piece 'o cake, as they say.

The procedure Susan describes works very well if you're only doing one
capture at a time. Paintbrush can also be a very useful tool for editing
.BMP images produced by other screen capture products. I find it useful to
be able to capture a string of screens at one sitting, then print them for
reference later as I'm writing. I can choose the images I need for my book
and edit them later if I want. The rest are great to refer to when I have
questions and don't have easy access at the moment to the software I'm
documenting.

I have used both HiJaak and Tiffany, but the product I like best overall is
Collage Complete. It's from a company in New Hampshire and sells for about
$150. Collage allows you to capture a series of images, then assemble them
in an on-line library. HiJaak Pro allows you to do that also, but Collage
has the advantage of allowing you to print the images with a caption and
(this is the part I like) with the image's filename. Collage is also a lot
more intuitive than HiJaak, and its captures seem more reliable. I've had
problems with HiJaak missing buttons on some screens.

marianne -at- boston -dot- handson -dot- com