Re: On Line Documents?

Subject: Re: On Line Documents?
From: Mary Deaton <MaryD -at- CSSI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 08:13:00 PST

I would like to know how to learn to create ON LINE documents. It seems
that every add for Tech Writers is looking for that ability. Is there a
book or class I can take? Is there special software needed to write ON
LINE Help?

Send info to SCHAAF -at- CALVIN -dot- CC -dot- DUQ -dot- EDU

Thanks

Paul

Paul, you need to check out some books and seminars to help yourself get
started. John Wiley & co put out several of William Horton's books on online
documents and these are useful. If you are an STC member, there is a new
online information PIC announced in this issue of InterCom (with address for
signing up) or you can call the Society office and ask to be put on the
list. We are working on the last details of the newsletter for that PIC and
hope to have it out before Christmas. If your interest is specifically in
Help for software, then you might want to check out the WINHELP-L mailing
list (winhlp-l -at- humber -dot- bitnet) or the WINSDK forum on CompuServe. Most of the
leading Help gurus hang on these and are a great source of information. In
February, there will be a three day conference in Seattle for Windows Help
Developers that will explore that option both for beginning and advanced
authors, including using the Help engine for stand-alone hypertext. There
will be hands-on session with all of the majo Help authoring tools. The
current issue of PC Magazine also has a very good overview article on
Windows Help.

I am just beginning to explore HTML and online documents for the Internet,
but there are many knowledgable people on this list and on WINHELP-L and it
certainly seems to be a major wave of the future.

Mary Deaton
KNOWware: Information You Can Use