Re: Shannon-Weaver Model

Subject: Re: Shannon-Weaver Model
From: Stuart Selber <sselber -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 22:00:33 -0500

Joseph - Many find the Shannon-Weaver (mathematical) model of
communication problematic in the way it reduces the role readers assume in
meaning making and the role language plays in complicating that meaning
making. I'm sure there are other objections to this one-way, writerly
perspective on technical communication. I remember Dave Farkas and a few
others raising some of them a few threads back.

For some interesting reading on three different models of communication
(transmission, translation, and articulation), try: Slack, Miller, and
Doak, "The Technical Communicator as Author: Meaning, Power, and
Authority" Journal of Business and Technical Communication, Vol 7, No 1,
January 1993, pp. 12-36.

Stuart
* Stuart A. Selber *
* Department of Humanities 906-487-3252 (voice) *
* Michigan Technological University 906-487-3347 (fax) *
* Houghton, MI 49931-1295 sselber -at- mtu -dot- edu *