another passive voice question

Subject: another passive voice question
From: DARCEY HARDING <STU_DCHARDIN -at- VAX1 -dot- ACS -dot- JMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 14:33:53 -0500

Can you use passive voice when your audience expects it?

For example, I am currently editing a chemistry research paper for our journal.
Nine times out of ten, the author fights active voice and we usually end up on
some sort of active/passive mix (ugh!).

If you were writing for the chemistry community, would you fight the active
voice battle, or WHAT?

I have to say,

"I added the broth to the 125ml flask. I harvested the cells. I purified the
urease. I applied the extract to the DEAE-cellulose...""

sounds AWFUL, no matter HOW varied I try and make it.

help, please!

Darcey C Harding stu_dchardin -at- vax1 -dot- acs -dot- jmu -dot- edu
When a thing has been said well, have no scruple. Take it and copy it.
-- Anatole France (1844-1924)