Re: using "chair"

Subject: Re: using "chair"
From: Keith Ivey <kcivey -at- CPCUG -dot- DIGEX -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 1994 13:40:15 GMT

ddriskel -at- cs -dot- utexas -dot- edu wrote:
: I personally don't like the word chair (it always reminds me
: of a piece of furniture).

I've heard this objection before, from people who are more
militant about it than you, and it's always struck me as going
out of one's way to misinterpret a perfectly clear word. The
word "chair" has been used in this sense since the 1600s (see
the OED), so it's not a new invention by the PC police.

When you read that someone is the "head" of an organization,
do you imagine that the person has no body?

--Keith Ivey <kcivey -at- cpcug -dot- org>
Washington, DC