Re: enough already

Subject: Re: enough already
From: "Race, Paul" <pdr -at- CCSPO -dot- DAYTONOH -dot- NCR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 1994 04:34:00 EST

>>Various people complaining about the MOM thread, interspersed with yet one
more revival of the his/her issue. (Sie/hir? or something of that nature)

paul -dot- d -dot- race -at- daytonoh -dot- ncr -dot- com says:

I would say that one message in five this week has actually had to do with
technical writing. Yes, I'm not practicing what I'm preaching, here, myself.
But with the holidays coming up and me having long weekends, etc., I don't
think I can afford to continue to subscribe to this list. I don't have time
to come in after a long weekend and plow through forty or eighty messages
about what we called our mommies or what we call generic workers. And, no,
saying we don't have to read them isn't the answer, because they come up
sequentially, and I still have to glance at them before I hit the delete
button. The alternative, and sometimes I've practiced it, is just to
automatically delete ALL the TECHWR messages without looking at them on days
when the message count is over, say fifty. But that rather defeats the
purpose of subscribing to the list.

We won't settle the his/her/them issues here, or even change anybody's mind.
Why keep trying? What I would like to hear is about technical writing
issues, not political correctness, etc. Yes, I am strongly opinionated,
and sometimes even I join a thread that ticks me off too much, but sooner or
later we have to get back to our charter, or we just have the world's
largest belleyaching club.

I like shooting the breeze as much as anyone, but we can't all try to have
our say on all these peripheral issues, or we'll be bring nothing of value
away from the list at all.