Re[2]: Tech Writing Future & Pen-based computing

Subject: Re[2]: Tech Writing Future & Pen-based computing
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 16:20:47 EST

Boy...can I relate to that! The area I work in is open, and there is a
typewriter located near my cubicle that is used for envelopes, labels, etc. One
day, I was asked by a man from across the way if I could type something for
him. I was fairly new to the organization, so did not want to cause waves by
telling him that I couldn't remember the last time I had worked at a
typewriter, and I was sure he was _just_ as capable as I to figure out how to
work this one!

Karla McMaster, technical writer (NOT TYPIST)
CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com

***********
WOMAN'S WORK
<<...men, particularly executives, consider typing to be something
secretaries do, in other words "woman's work", and that it's
demeaning for them to be expected to type to use a computer.>>

Gwen, I like your theory about pen-based computing. I think
you're probably correct.

One of my employers didn't know how to use the fax machine, and he had me
fax out his personal stuff, just because he was too bullheaded
to take a short fax lesson.

He said he was impressed with Apple's (pen-based) Newton, though,
because it made faxing look so easy.

Ellen Adams
proud to be a woman
ellena -at- tolstoy -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com