Re: e-mail

Subject: Re: e-mail
From: "PICKETT-HARNER, Molly" <MOP1 -at- NIORDS1 -dot- EM -dot- CDC -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 13:30:00 EST

Chris:

E-mail [which, for better/worse, is rapidly becoming "email"] is
formal/informal, depending upon your intent and circumstances.

Those little faces are called "emoticons."

A spelling checker can be installed w/many e-mail packages. And yes,
spelling & grammar frequently suffer. Most of my colleagues don't notice or
feel troubled about such lapses -- tho [sic] they can raise the hackles of

In my experience, e-mail is well on its way toward replacing memos, etc.
Even in the memo-happy government!

Good Luck with your program!

Molly Pickett-Harner
mop1 -at- niords1 -dot- em -dot- cdc -dot- gov

----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: e-mail
Date: Friday, November 18, 1994 10:31AM

* Do people use a less formal writing style using e-mail? Is a
less formal style indicative of a less formal function? What are
those little faces called? :-)

* Is a less formal style encroaching on the more traditional
methods of communication such as letters, memos and
proposals? For instance have spelling and grammar suffered?

* Is e-mail replacing memos? Telephone calls? Or has e-mail
formed its own niche in business communication?

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Chris Miller
cmmiller -at- brahms -dot- udel -dot- edu