Re: teaching

Subject: Re: teaching
From: Elaine Winters <ewinters -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 20:18:59 -0800

On Wed, 16 Nov 1994, Barb Philbrick wrote:

> [material deleted]

> When I teach, I encourage students to do revisions. I believe that they
> will learn more by revising a paper than by just sticking in a folder
> marked "Finished Homework" (or lining the bird cage with it), even if
> all they do is change the suggestions I've marked.

> This method works well. However, I've also tried doing in-class reviews,
> where the class goes over two or three papers and critiques them. As you
> might expect, I've run into problems:

[material deleted]

I've taught and used this method abraod, with a major
cultural adaptation -- which you might like to try.

At about mid-term, when everyone had produced at least
three papers of about five pages in length:

I divided students into groups of four. They received
a paper written by someone in another group; the
papers were distributed 'blind' - - i.e., I knew who
the authors were, but the re-writers didn't.

The assignment: to critique the paper and re-write it - -
each student taking at least one page; yes, they had
to collaborate, so the style was consistent.

The public critique was a re-reading of the paper with
one student introducing each section with the formal
critique which had been jointly written, the reasons for the
changes - - difficulties encountered, and so on.

It worked very well. No one lost face, everyone
gained some experience, both critiquing and re-writing.

Good luck. Elaine Winters

Elaine Winters 510-843-0909 ewinters -at- netcom -dot- com
Information_Mapping_________________Non_Linear_Instructional_Design
Cross_Cultural_Communication____Interactivity_____Writing_&_Editing